Sunday 8 February 2009

“Architecture is the most unequivocal of all the arts. It imposes a quasi – permanent change on the fabric of the world. It uses real people and their lives as “material” to be processed by the artist. And its audience is there by obligation more often than by choice. In no other art is the imagination so frankly on trial”.
Richard Rogers Biography, by Bryan Appleyard.

Since my last post I have been busy working hard on the design and form of the building, through the process of models. I have stepped away from my sketch book, or as my lecturer would put it; out of my comfort zone. Designing through model making has been an exciting process and one that allows a different throught process to be evoked.

With each model I have tried to explore and develop on from my previous thinking. My main exploration has been with light and analysing how this is transferred through to the main public and performance space at ground floor level.

I have attached below some of my modelling images, and I have sneaked in a few hand sketches too.


Upon reviewing my modelling work, that whilst not a driving concept it has become clear that I have developed a strong desire to bring movement into and through the building. Whether these are internal or external spaces the movement of people through the space created has become key.

2 comments:

Dr Bob said...

Hi
It has been a while since I had a look.
The whole project progresses well
Keep up the good hard work

Unknown said...

Hi Adam,

My name is Beatrice, I am 3rd year interior design student in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I was doing research for my 4th year thesis project and ended up on your blog while researching the idea of a city's cultural identity. I think I may have been reading an article on the adaptive city and got linked to your blog.

Anyway I have not read Wikinomics, but after reading through a few blogs, especially yours, I became inspired to create my own blog as a part of my own research into the notion of social and cultural identity of online sites and their relationship to the city.

I liked your exert on innovative design as a result of simultaneous, collaborative growth. I have added the link to your blog on my site.

I shall add Wikinomics to my reading list.

Best of luck with developing your project. It's always great to see the evolution of a the design process!

If you have a moment, drop me a line on my site. It is my first blog and I'm still trying to figure out all this new terminology to get things organized.

Cheers,

Beatrice

www.contemplatingthevoid.com